Sunday, March 02, 2008

The great whore of the east

I've had a very enjoyable weekend across the other side of the country in (mostly sunny) Edinburgh with a friend. Went to a concert of, amongst other things, Vivaldi's Gloria, visited two new pubs which have yet to be added to my Website, had too much beer, attended a Presbyterian (Church of Scotland) church service, visited two, yes two, art galleries, and met some very nice people. All in all a good trip.

One of the nice people I met, Mike, has recommended a couple of books related to a topic close to my heart, motorcycling. They are Way to Go: Two of the world's best motorcycling journeys, and The Road to Gobbler's Knob: From Chile to Alaska on a motorbike, both by a friend of his, Geoff Hill. I've located them on Amazon, and I'll order them in due course, but suffice to say they seem to be similar to the higher profile Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman Long Way Down and Long Way Round trips, only this guy apparently did it all first and without the backup and infrastructure surrounding McGregor and Boorman. And I'm not having a go at them for that, what they did was still pretty impressive.

Mike has also written a book, The Blue Cabin: Living by the Tides on Islandmore, and I'm going to order it as well, not just because I've met him, but because the Amazon reviews rate it highly, and I've also had a personal recommendation from a friend who has read it.

Life is good at the moment and I am generally very happy, and getting happier.

Oh, and the title for this post relates to the city of Edinburgh, not a person!

No comments:

Post a Comment