Monday, April 09, 2007

What a weekend!

For the first time in a long long time I had a hangover this morning. And on the way from the taxi to the front door in the early hours of this morning I fell on the stairs outside. Twice. Backwards, fortunately, so I didn't actually injure myself, but it was scary how little control of the crutches I had. Lesson learned. Maybe.

So why was I so drunk? A ceilidh after Evensong in the Cathedral was to blame. Well, OK, the amount of alcohol I consumed was actually to blame, or rather the fact that I drank Stella Artois and malt whisky (no, not in the same glass). The band, Robbie Shepherd's Nightmare, were very good and a lot of dancing was done by all. Except me of course since it can't be done on crutches. I stayed at the bar.

The Evensong beforehand was excellent although I'd much rather have been singing than listening, but I can't comfortably stand for long enough so I'm out for a while. Byrd's Haec Dies, Rose Responses, Dyson Magnificat & Nunc Dimittis in D, Vaughan Williams Let all the World, and finishing with Howells Te Deum (Collegium Regale). In particular the anthem, Let all the World, stood out magnificently for me and sounded great.

As a slight aside, four pieces of music performed during the course of yesterday came together to be blasts from my past. In the morning the final organ voluntary was Widor Toccata, and at Evensong there was Haec Dies, and Let all the World. All 3 pieces were sung/played when I got married in the Cathedral in 1989. In a previous life. In fact about two lives ago. Additionally, one of the hymns yesterday was Thine be the Glory, to the tune Maccabeus by Handel, which my mum said for years and years was the hymn she wanted at her funeral. It was, of course, sung at the funeral. Yesterday then was a strangely emotional day for one or two reasons.

After the morning service we had a champagne (i.e. Cava) reception, and then stood outside and watched the Scottish Motorcycle Action Group annual Easter Egg Run riding past. Some 7500 motorcyclists en route to The Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill. A very impressive sight, and next year I intend being in the crowd on two wheels rather than in the crowd on the pavement watching.

Today my wrists, palms and shoulders are sore, so I intend lying on the sofa all day relaxing, and taking painkillers. It will be a day well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment