Monday, February 01, 2010

Pubs of Lay Clerk #2

Continuing the occasional series documenting all the pubs in which I've ever had a drink.  See the initial post for the background to this quest.


Aragon, 131 Byres Rd, Glasgow G12 8TT


Unmistakeably part of the same chain as Hubbards in Great Western Road, this is a smallish bar tarted up to look authentically old, and it achieves the effect pretty well.  Good real ale, but boringly ordinary yet kind of OK pub-food.  

Decent place to have a small refreshment while shopping in Byres Rd.  I like it.


Babbity Bowster, 16-18 Blackfriars St, Glasgow G1 1PF


Taking its name from an old Scottish courting dance, this fine town house is attributed to Robert Adam.  It portrays itself as authentically Scottish, but the last few times I've been in it felt a bit touristy for some reason I can't put my finger on.
 
Good food, if a bit on the expensive side, and they used to have traditional folk music jam-sessions but again, the last few times I've been in I haven't seen them.  Good selection of real ales, including usually something unusual as a guest.  

There's a beer garden, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone sitting in it!
  

2 comments: