Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A quick quiz

Here's a bombshell for you.

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow evening. Go on, guess. Bet you won't get it.

I've booked myself in for an induction session at my local gym. Yes, me, at a gym!

The last real exercise I had was in March 2007, which, you may remember, resulted in three months off work with a ruptured achilles tendon. Since then I suppose I had some exercise when I was receiving physiotherapy, and fairly recently I have been swimming a number of times with RE. Well I say swimming. She swims 16 lengths in the Olympic sized 50m pool, and I splash around ineffectively in the small pool trying to avoid children and morbidly obese people.

I've been thinking for ages that I need to get back to some regular exercise, but in the back of my mind, well, at the forefront really, are the twin thoughts that I don't want to bugger my achilles tendon again, and it's been such a long time since I exercised properly that it's going to hurt to get back into it. So I've been putting it off.

But tonight I called my local leisure centre, and booked an induction session. For an all inclusive monthly price I will be able to access the fitness suite, sauna, steam room, spa pool, and swimming pool with water slides and suchlike.

Those who know me will not be surprised that it's been a while since I exercised, but I suspect that very few people know that when I was (a lot) younger I used to do a lot of weight training, and a bit of regular cross country running, as well as some sprinting and twice weekly badminton sessions. Added to a brief rugby playing period (I was a prop forward) and it all adds up to a pretty fit, and very strong, younger self, with very little excess fat.

I am now, frankly, embarrassed at the shape I have become, and it's (way beyond) time to do something about it. Or try anyway.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment