Friday, January 01, 2010

A Musical Whore

One of the joys of being a musical whore like me is that occasionally at short notice you get drafted in to sing in a concert without having to bother with rehearsals.  This is I think particularly true if like me you're a tenor, which for the uninitiated is the least common voice part and therefore if you are one you are often in great demand.

Yes this is actually leading somewhere.

Yesterday afternoon along with five other tenors I received a message via Facebook asking if any of us was available to sing in a performance of Handel's Messiah in the Usher Hall in Edinburgh with the Edinburgh Royal Choral Union at mid day on Saturday 2nd January (i.e. tomorrow).  Apparently the place is almost sold out and the audience will be in the region of 2000+ people.  So, musical tart here said yes.  It's been quite a few years since I sang that piece, but it's hopefully so ingrained into the consciousness that there won't be much sight reading required, if any, but there's a rehearsal at 10am anyway.  And it helps that Michael Bawtree is the conductor and he also conducts Glasgow Chamber Choir so I know he's easy to follow.

So my musical holiday is cut short slightly.  Oh well.  At least I'll get my money's worth out of the cheap "wear it a couple of times and throw it away" machine-washable DJ which I bought for the Raymond Gubbay concerts a few weeks ago.  Asda, £40 reduced to £30.  You can't go wrong!

1 comment:

  1. Experience is good for something. All the time you have saved can now be spent doing something more valuable (glug, glug).

    ReplyDelete