Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The new me

Not only did I go for a very brisk half hour walk at lunchtime (in the blazing sunshine), but I left work early (flexitime) and went to the gym for the first time in about five weeks. Forty five minutes of sweaty exercise. I don't dislike the gym, I have just found it incredibly difficult to get motivated and get back into the habit after A LOT of years of not doing it.

I had a long sometimes difficult conversation with a close friend last night. That friend put things into startling, stark perspective for me, and that has given me the boost, no, the hard kick up the arse I needed to get a grip of myself and my life and make things happen.

So now I have a specific goal, which will remain private, sorry, but part of which, a bloody big part, involves me changing my physical condition, and my physical shape. And my psychological outlook on life.

This is the new me. I NEED to do this. I NEED to lose weight. I NEED to get fit. I NEED to cut down on alcohol. I NEED to eat a better diet. I WILL do it. I WILL achieve my goal, because it's the most important thing for me.

Please think positive thoughts and project them towards me. Your help is appreciated.

And to that friend, you know who you are, thank you. Thank you for your continuing friendship and honesty and support.

4 comments:

  1. Lots of positive thoughts from here... but then I've always regarded you as one of life's winners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been reading MY blog - this is spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father Kenny, you are too kind! And I send positive thoughts back in your direction, towards both yourself and your dad.

    Tenon Saw, yes I did read your post yesterday and almost left a comment on it pointing out that the dimensions you quote could be considered a desirable target for some people, but thought better of it!

    I am currently somewhere between the next waist size up from you and the next one above that, meaning my trousers are usually the larger size, and this afternoon at the gym I was 1 stone and 9 pounds heavier than you. To put that into perspective, I am 5' 8" tall.

    But that will change (except the height of course) in due course!

    Shall we exercise together in the virtual world?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic. As my metabolism is dropping - I notice These little work outs of mine just don't keep up with a middle aged enjoyment of eating/drinking.

    ReplyDelete